Thursday, May 12, 2016

Just for the Halibut!


I’ve been accused of being a crazy woman…I just love to travel.  I think I just want to run away from home, without really cutting any ties.

 And, yes, I do miss the cat and my dear hubby when I am gone (not necessarily in that order.)

 
 


But, thinking over this past year, I have been to some of the most bustling, cosmopolitan, exciting airports in the country.

 Like…

 

Rochester, NY
Erie, PA
Spokane, WA

 


And now….Boise, ID

 

Honestly, these are airports that usually have a café/gift shop….and sometimes it is even open.

They know who you are when you walk up to the Rental Car Counter, because you are their only client for the day.

They have no direct flights from anywhere.

They may, or may not, have TSA PreCheck…and it may, or may not be open.

 


(Have I mentioned how much I LOVE TSA PreCheck?  I’d marry it, if I were a single woman!)

 

I am now assigned to a client in Boise, which I will have to admit is a beautiful little city.  The area is know as “High Desert” so is relatively dry.  It is surrounded by hills.  There are rivers that run through town, making for a nice green belt.  And all the restaurants feature beef.

 

Lots and lots of beef!

(Have I mentioned that I don’t eat red meat?)

One thing I have figured out since starting a somewhat vegetarian lifestyle is that there is something I can (will?) eat at most places.

Restaurants in Boise can be a little challenging at times.


But while searching for dinner last night, I found a place called “Fresh Off the Hook.”  That sounds promising.  And it was within walking distance to my hotel.
 

I strolled over.  While it was in a strip mall, it was a nice place with real silverware and table service.  I perused the menu and ordered the fish and chips…and made it clear I wanted the cod fish and chips….

I got the Halibut!

Now, I don’t know much, but I can tell the difference between halibut and cod!  Especially in fish in chips. 
 
As one I love (cod)
 
 
and one I do not (halibut)

 


Just look at that ugly mug!

Don’t get me wrong, Halibut is a lovely fish, when cooked properly, but the deep frying of fish and chips is too hot for halibut and makes the fish tough.

So I will continue my venture to find a good, non-beef meal in Idaho.
 
(To give the Idahoans and Boiseans credit, I had a wonderful chicken the other night at a BBQ place)

No comments:

Post a Comment