Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Why Do Fools Fall in Love? Or the Whole Reason We Are Here Today


Way back in 1986 there was a World’s Exposition in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.  Since I had just moved to Near Seattle in 1985, and Vancouver is close to Near Seattle, it made sense to head on up and check this out.  I grew up hearing about The Worlds Fair and it sounded like fun.

 


So BF (the Blog Fodder) got us some discount tickets and found lodging at the University and off we went.  We had a great 3 days going in the pavilions and seeing the sights.  My favorite?  The Swiss pavilion where they gave me chocolate.  I’m easy that way.

 

In the years since then, the ’86 Expo came up as topic of conversation amongst our friends.  We all had a great time.  And we wondered if they still happen in the world. 

 

Why, yes, there was on in Korea and one in Spain and one in Australia and one in China, amongst others.

 

One time when this topic came up, we had just gotten back from our first trip to Italy.  And fell in love with everything Italian. 

 


Why look, there is a Worlds Exposition in Milan Italy in 2015!  Let’s go!

 

So for several years, The Worlds Expo in Milan in 2015 was on our radar.  And by “our radar” I mean “my radar.”

 

Fast Forward to the Fall and Winter of 2013/2014.  I was in the middle of a challenging assignment.  I was exhausted.  I picked up a bug and got a couple of sinus infections.  I was going back and forth to San Francisco every week.

 

I just didn’t have what it would take to plan a trip to Italy.  And I certainly don’t have what it takes to go to Italy without a plan.  Time to give up that dream.

 

So I found a cool cruise as an alternative.  We like cruises, having been on about 20.  This one went from New Orleans (I’ve never been there!) to Boston (I’ve never been there either) by way of Bonaire (oh, I’ve never been there)  Okay, that sounds good!

 

Since we hadn’t been on that cruise line or ship, I started looking for reviews.  And I found several FABULOUS reviews of this ship, written by women with passion and drive and a sense of humor.  I loved every minute of these reviews and really wanted to see this ship.  The reviews are on a website called Cruise Critic.

 

One small, tiny, almost-not-worth-mentioning problem….all the reviews were of Mediterranean cruises.  Cruises that took place in mostly Italy….

 

Oh dear!

 

So here we are, heading to Italy in May for the Worlds Exposition!  Maybe someday I’ll see Boston and New Orleans and Bonaire!

 

And in case you are wondering.  There is another Worlds Exposition coming up in 2017.

 

In Kazakhstan!

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment