Thursday, May 28, 2015

I Wanna Hold your Ha-a-a-a-a-and….


Oh yeah, I'll tell you something
I think you'll understand
When I'll say that something
I wanna hold your hand
I wanna hold your hand
I wanna hold your hand 

……….Paul MacCartney, John Lennon

 


 

The absolute worse part about any trip is the dreaded airplane ride. 

Duh-duh-daaaaaaaaah! 

And if you live in Near Seattle, plane rides are long, expensive and inevitable. 

But, if we are going to Italy, it is time to put on my Big Girl Panties and start shopping.  I look at a search website first, just to see what is out there. 

Keep in mind, there are no direct, nonstop flights from Near Seattle to, well, anywhere.  There just aren’t, get over it.

 


Given my druthers, I would fly from the Near Seattle International Airport to Somewhere in Europe, and then from there to Milan Italy, either airport is fine.  But wait, I don’t want to fly into Heathrow….or Charles De Gaulle.  Hmmm, that kind of leaves Amsterdam or Frankfurt.  Whoa, airfare is HOW much?!?!?!?! 

Okay Plan B…From the Near Seattle International Airport to Big East Coast City Airport, then to Italy.  Well, that is better, but still expensive 

Plan C….Flying out of Vancouver Canada.  Can US citizens do that?  How do we get to Vancouver?  Cheaper, but much more of a hassle. 

Okay, then, if the airfare is going to cost so flipping much, maybe we should just go First Class.
 
 

Oh My!  That seems to cost more than the whole trip budget!

 

(I am pausing here so that the people who know me can finish laughing.  Yes, I have a vacation budget. Yes, I pay attention to it!  And then 9 times out of 10, I smash the hell out of it later! Note to self:  Add funds to the shopping budget)

 


Done laughing…let’s continue.

 

So, to make a long story short, after much drama I purchased 2 sets of tickets.  One takes us round trip to JFK in New York City using miles and the other takes us round trip from JFK to Milan.  It wound up costing us 1/3 of the Seattle to Milan price.  It is a little risky getting 2 sets of tickets, but I have faith, I have confidence, I have an AMEX with a high credit limit, if something goes wrong! 

But after a work flight that took off late and had several folks who had to race off the plane to get to their international flight, I got a trifle nervous.  So I started tracking the flights.  The good news is that over the last 2 weeks, they all have landed timely and the connecting gates are close to each other. 

But I notices in all this tracking, that the airline was offering us an upgrade to the front of the plane, with the seats that convert to flat beds for merely an unreasonable amount.  Much better than the outrageous price quoted us earlier.  It would be a little painful, but I could afford that.  What to do, what to do? 

As I was looking at this further, I noticed the seats were all individual pods.  I found some video footage and the seats are all isolated.
 
 

Now, while I am flying for work, I would love to have my own pod.  I usually put myself into a bubble and ignore the rest of the world.  But if I am going to travel for fun, and take BF (the Blog Fodder) with me, I want to sit next to him.  I want to chat with him.  I want to stare into his brown eyes and hold his hand.

 


So, no Front of the Plane for us!  We’ll stick to our lovely, side-by-side Economy Comfort Seats.  Thank you very much!

No comments:

Post a Comment