Wednesday, November 25, 2015

A Christmas Miracle


The following is a true story that happened on Christmas Eve, way back in 2012! 

Jesus is the reason for the Season!
I ran to the grocery store today for those last minute things,  Everyone was in a bad mood and the cars were doing their best to run the pedestrians over.  But I went on my merry way and smiled at one and all.
I decided to stick my head in the drug store next door.  The lady at the pharmacy was yelling because they had just run out of flu shots...Fa-La-La-La-La!

 I picked up the things I needed, and then saw a little, inexpensive Nativity set in the Christmas aisle.
 


 

I have a plastic set, from Hallmark.  I got in when the nieces were young, so that they would be allowed to play with it. 
 

 
Mary lost her halo in an unfortunate bungee jumping accident years ago. 
 
One year the Shepard was lost after Christmas.  He showed up in June.  We are pretty sure he went on a six month bender.
 

But all this time I KNEW exactly what I wanted in a real Nativity set.  When I would find one that was close, the price tag would deter me.  I mean, I could hire actors for the month of December to dress in costume for that price!
 

When we were in Naples this year, I had planned on going to the famous street where nativity sets are made and buying one.  With the Blog Fodder complaining the whole way about how we were going to get that home.  (If I have to clutch them to my chest the whole flight....)  However, we were in Naples on Sunday, and the shops are closed that day.

So here I stand looking at the inexpensive little nativity set, and it is really close to what I wanted.  So I bought it.  I took it home and cleared a space on the mantle, and started to unpack the set.

Stable...check
3 Wise Men...check
Sheppard...check, and has joined AA
Donkey...Check
Cow....Check
Joseph..check
Mary....Check

Um....something is missing!  Where is Jesus?  Did he wander off? Is he still in the box? Nope!

Dang!  Jesus is missing!

Now, I don't have high expectations on a $7.49 Nativity set, but Jesus is something I kinda require!

We did check the box and did not find “Jesus not included” or “Just add Jesus”

Back to the store and three sets later (headless sheep, no star...) I have the whole cast and crew!

Phew!

Update:  Since then, we have added other figures to the scene. 

Native Americans from New Mexico, a Christ-moose from Alaska, Alligators we have Heard on High, David, Artemus, a streetcar from San Francisco, an olive wood angel from Assisi, St Francis’ lizard, a gondola from Venice and presents and a mini nativity set for the baby Jesus!

1 comment:

  1. You are a mess and that is why I love you! But wait...where is Dorothy and the ruby slippers?

    ReplyDelete