Saturday, June 20, 2015

God Bless the Beasts and the Lizards!


Or Don’t Mess With St Francis!

Day 10 Assisi
St Francis


You remember back in Padua, when I said St Anthony was my favorite Saint?  Well, that is about to come back and bite me in the butt!


We looked at the map, and it seemed like there were several ways to get to Assisi from Ravenna.  We checked with the owner of our B&B and he advised us to take E45, so off we headed.

I knew there were 3 big parking lots in Assisi, so the plan was to head for one of those, and then figure out where our hotel was located.  We got to the valley and could see Assisi, sitting like a jewel on a hill. 
 
We started following the Big Blue P signs for the parking lots.  I still don’t know what we did wrong, but all of a sudden we were winding through the streets of Assisi, no parking lots in sight.

After a few tries, we gave up, parked illegally and went to find things on foot.

The Blog Fodder kept feeling like we should walk up that hill over there.  While I don’t like to argue with his logic, he was heading out of town, and I really thought we should be heading into town.

We were standing under a tree, by a snack bar, looking at our map.  As we had no clue where we were, it was kind of tough to decide where to go.

Just then, St Francis decided to take his revenge.
 
Wham!  Out of the blue, I felt SOMETHING land on my shoulder.  It was SOMETHING QUITE SUBSTANTIAL!

So I did what any normal woman would do, and screamed my head off!

Out of the corner of my eye, I see a lizard running for his life!  I didn’t get a close look, but I am pretty sure it was the rare Italian Attack Ninja Lizard….very dangerous!

 

Once my heart rate got to a normal level again, we started walking.  Just then SOMETHING ELSE hit my shoulder.  Now, it is possible it was just a leaf, but at this point I was completely freaked out, and screamed again.

Not an actual photo of our trip, but I know they were out there, waiting! 

Much to the amusement of the guy running the snack stand!  I indicated it was a lizard, with the universal hand sign for creepy-crawly.  Snack guy laughed harder, but the lady customer gave me the appropriate amount of feminine sympathy.

And The BF…he is a wise man and kept his hysterical laugher to himself!

Later, when we went to fetch our luggage from the car, a third lizard scurried up the wall next to me.  And yes, I screamed yet again.  Then I started proclaiming at the top of my lungs, to whoever was listening, that I was wrong about St Anthony and St Francis is, was and always would be my favorite Saint.

 
Heavens, is that a Lizard Gargoyle?
 
I even bought a larger St Francis medal than the St Anthony one I had purchased earlier.  It seems to have worked, there were no more lizard attacks

Once, all the lizard hysteria died down, the Snack guy was able to point us in the right direction, and we walked across town to our hotel.

Just as a side note, we ran across more people in Assisi who did not speak English than in other parts of Italy.  And since we were in Italy, we can’t fault them for that.  We speak a few basic words of Italian, understand a few more, and are more than willing to make an effort.  I want to point out that the only person who corrected my truly horrible Italian pronunciation was BF!

We parked the car at the Porta San Giacomo.  When we reached our hotel, the lovely gentleman who checked us in, was shocked we parked so far away.  He pulled out a town map and gave us directions to how to get from there to the hotel parking lot.  He assured us it would only take us 15 minutes.  This entire conversation was in Italian on his part, and English on ours.

It was the prettiest parking lot of our trip.  The hotel was great also.  Our room, while up 2 flights of circular stairs, was open and airy.  We had a nice balcony that overlooked the Assisi Valley.

 

After relaxing and recovering from our adventures, we went out to find dinner.  The BF found a place that sounded interesting in the Rick Steves guide, but when we arrived, it was closed on Mondays.  We found another place and had a lovely meal with our first glasses of Sagratino, the local wine. 

At the next table was our second Ugly American sighting.  The two ladies weren’t completely hopeless, but were pretty amusing.  They went through and discussed the nationality of all the other clients.  They asked for special treatment. They snapped their fingers and demanded Parmesan cheese (by pointing to and holding up MY Parmesan cheese)  Honestly, I would have given them mine, if they hadn’t been such pains!  Dennis and I were tempted to talk in accents to throw off their Nationality Assessment.  “Let’s go ooooot and abooooot!”  “Crickey Mate, that’s a ripping idea!”  But we had a good laugh and they eventually left.
 
From our adventures of the day, we realized that everything in Assisi is uphill…both ways!  So we knew we’d be in for a strenuous day, and decided to head back to the hotel to have a restful evening and come up with a plan of attack for the next


 

No comments:

Post a Comment